PDA

View Full Version : Victoria High Country "Unfinished Business" first week of January 2017

Dave
07-07-16, 12:37 PM
Victoria High Country - January 2017

As you may know, the Vic High Country Trip in January 2016 had to miss some of the planned route because it rained. A lot. So we have Unfinished Business! I'd like to get to the bits we missed, and do some more as well!

In brief the plan is;

Monday 2 January - Sydney to Nug Nug Reserve (just South of Myrtleford - Victoria) - 634km
This is a relatively long drive, but do-able in a day. Or - I'm thinking about leaving Sydney on Sunday afternoon and spliting the journey. Camp at Gundagai River Caravan Park on Sunday night, then get to Nug Nug earlier on Monday and enjoy the surroundings.

Tuesday 3 January - Nug Nug to Howqua Hut Mt Stirling via Wild Horse Gap Track and Craigs Hut - 100km

Wednesday 4 January - Howqua Hut to Wonnangatta via Zeka Spur - 82km

Thursday 5 January - Wonnangatta to Dargo - 85km

Friday 6 January - Local trip near Dargo Including Billy Goat Bluff - 100km

Saturday 7 January - Dargo to Omeo via Blue Rag Range - 161 km

Sunday 8 January - If you need to get home by Monday it is 739km to Sydney from Omeo via Tallangatta and Albury. Or - we get back on the dirt from Omeo and head East to McKillops Bridge on the Snowy River - 134km

Monday 9 January - McKillops Bridge to Pambula via Bombala - 200km

Tuesday 10 January - Pambula to Sydney - 526km

TOTAL DISTANCE - 2022km

This is a serious 4WD tour. Difficult driving on C and possibly B grade dirt tracks, with spectacular scenery. This is a mountainous area and we will be covering some steep climbs and descents, winding roads and many creek and river crossings. Some camping will be in caravan parks with all amenities, most in National Parks camping areas with minimal facilities.

Open to 4WD Jeeps with High and Low Range only. If you have to tow, off-road camper trailers only. Trailers are not recommended in many of these areas.

Please consider, and post up on this thread if you are interested. If you would like more information, I will have a full itinerary at Club meetings from July, and can send a PDF copy to anyone that PMs me with their email address. Given the tracks and distances we could manage up to 10 Jeeps.

Definites

1 GregD & DaveG (passenger) will meet at Gundagai on 1st
2 Dennis - meeting at Nug Nug on 2nd
3 Wayne & Julie - meeting at Gundagai on 1st
4 Steve & Hayley - meeting at Nug Nug on 2nd
5 Dusan - meeting at Nug Nug on 2nd
6 Teshie - meeting at Nug Nug on 2nd

Maybes
RobS

Thanks,
Dave

isherz
07-07-16, 12:49 PM
Would loved to come but we are booked for Frazer island till the new year already... J & D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave
07-07-16, 12:51 PM
Would loved to come but we are booked for Frazer island till the new year already... J & D

D'oh! Oh well, there is always the possibility of Cape York in Sept/Oct (teaser :))

isherz
07-07-16, 12:52 PM
That will be a definite for us!!!!

uncaged123
07-07-16, 01:53 PM
Hi Dave, I'm like Isherz. I been hanging out for your advice of a other highland trip. But as I didn't hear anything I booked my campsite at Fraser Island. If you were to run it the third week in January I'll be in it for sure. It'll be a continuation of a great holiday. Sunny Qld one week Vic the next. Lol

Await your advice. Cheers Rob

Dave
07-07-16, 02:07 PM
Hi Dave, I'm like Isherz. I been hanging out for your advice of a other highland trip. But as I didn't hear anything I booked my campsite at Fraser Island. If you were to run it the third week in January I'll be in it for sure. It'll be a continuation of a great holiday. Sunny Qld one week Vic the next. Lol

Await your advice. Cheers Rob

Sorry Rob, we discussed at the club meeting in June and I had itineraries at the July meeting last night, but unfortunately we haven't seen you at the last couple of meetings. I don't usually get trips organised or 'out there' much more than 6 months in advance, and I reckon that Fraser Island will be a great alternative anyway!

The first week of January seems to suit most people as many have that week off work anyway after Christmas / New Year. I can't do 3rd week of Jan either...

Dave

uncaged123
08-07-16, 01:47 AM
Ok, thanks Dave

jk_menace
09-07-16, 09:25 AM
We are in. Thanks Dave

atto
09-07-16, 02:06 PM
Hi Dave, count us in thanks.
Wayne & Julie

Jeep11
09-07-16, 02:19 PM
Steve and Hayley will be attending this adventure

Easy77
09-07-16, 04:57 PM
Yes, I'm in.

Dusan

Dave
09-07-16, 05:50 PM
Great!! Thanks guys! Updating from Parkes, just a little central west trip [emoji41]

Teshie
09-07-16, 07:58 PM
Please count me in Dave. Thanks !

Dieselcon
10-07-16, 12:01 AM
This sounds awesome. Maybe please.

Dave
10-07-16, 03:56 PM
Done again, this time from Cowra! Jose, I'll email you a full itinerary when I get home. Thanks guys!!

Will98
11-07-16, 12:03 AM
Sounds good Dave, I'm in!

Will

Dave
11-07-16, 04:08 PM
Sounds good Dave, I'm in!

Will

Great! We've got the old band back together!

MY14JK
11-07-16, 06:18 PM
Count me in please.

Cheers,

Kevin.

Dave
11-07-16, 08:48 PM
Count me in please.

Cheers,

Kevin.

Great! Done!!

darksidecustoms
12-07-16, 05:01 PM
Put us down as a maybe Dave :-)

Dave
12-07-16, 05:17 PM
Put us down as a maybe Dave :-)

Done, thanks!

uncaged123
13-07-16, 04:10 PM
HIi Dave, although Frasey Island would be good, I'm thinking that this trip would be better. Please put me down and I'll cancel my campsite at Fraser.

Cheers Rob

Dave
13-07-16, 05:45 PM
HIi Dave, although Frasey Island would be good, I'm thinking that this trip would be better. Please put me down and O'll cancel my campsite at Fraser.

Cheers Rob

Okay, added. Make sure you let Heidi know - and fill that jerry can with petrol too :).

We really do have the band back together now.

See you in August?

Dave

uncaged123
15-07-16, 02:22 AM
We're just missing Eddy, Sharon & Danny from the original group. My friend and co driver Luis will be on this trip too.

Cheers RobS

AJ96XJ
27-07-16, 08:12 PM
He guys I am interested on going on this trip.

Dave
27-07-16, 09:45 PM
He guys I am interested on going on this trip.

Hi AJ,

We are pretty full at 10 members/cars and two already in the maybe list.

Are you a club member? Says visitor next to your post and members will get first option.

If you are at the club meeting next week we can discuss.

Added to 'maybe' list, we will see how numbers go!

Thanks,

Dave

uncaged123
11-08-16, 12:11 PM
Dave, just a thought. We may have been lucky early this year in obtaining accommodation in the 2 towns in Victoria, the wet weather forced us to seek. With this in mind do you think that we should book both places before we leave? The general store in Romeo also has cabins for hire, which are located on the opposite corner to the pub.

Await your advice.

Cheers Rob

Dave
11-08-16, 02:26 PM
Dave, just a thought. We may have been lucky early this year in obtaining accommodation in the 2 towns in Victoria, the wet weather forced us to seek. With this in mind do you think that we should book both places before we leave? The general store in Romeo also has cabins for hire, which are located on the opposite corner to the pub.

Await your advice.

Cheers Rob

Hi Rob,

We are not following quite the same itinerary, but I know what you mean about Dargo and Omeo - camping only everywhere else. I'm going to keep fingers crossed, hope for dry weather, and not book cabins. In fact we don't need to pre-book anywhere this time.

If anyone wants to book other accommodation in Dargo and Omeo, please go ahead. I'm going to hope for fine weather and camp - or hope for last minute options like last time, if needed.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave
01-10-16, 11:21 PM
Hi All,

I have edited the title of this thread "To Be Advised" as it may not run now.

I am Jeepless and will not have a new one ready for this trip. I have had the offer to go as a passenger, so that is a solid maybe!

Will let you know!

Dave

uncaged123
03-10-16, 02:26 AM
Hi Dave, I'll likely be able to fit you in my jku also if you're looking for a lift. I'll catch up with you soon to discuss.

Cheers Rob

atto
03-10-16, 02:07 PM
Ok Dave! What happened to your Jeep? We could make room for you in the grand if you would like to join us.
Regards,
Wayne & Julie

Dave
03-10-16, 06:53 PM
Ok Dave! What happened to your Jeep? We could make room for you in the grand if you would like to join us.
Regards,
Wayne & Julie

You will just have to come to the meeting this week, I'm sure I will be in contention for the "Bugger Award"

uncaged123
06-10-16, 11:37 AM
Hi Dave, can you drive a manual?

Cheers Rob

Dave
06-10-16, 11:55 AM
Hi Dave, can you drive a manual?

Cheers Rob

Yes???

Was offered a couple of passenger seats yesterday, so am looking good to 'tag along' for the trip!

uncaged123
07-10-16, 12:25 PM
Was thinking that if you decide to come in my jku, I'm looking at sharing the driving, as I have a manual and fitted with lockers.

Cheers Rob

Dave
07-10-16, 06:53 PM
Was thinking that if you decide to come in my jku, I'm looking at sharing the driving, as I have a manual and fitted with lockers.

Cheers Rob

Cool! Might be able to swap between a couple of vehicles and try them out :)

Thanks,
Dave

Dave
11-10-16, 12:06 PM
Okay, have removed the "TBA". After all the offers of a passenger seat, I'm definitely hitching a lift and we will go! Will discuss with drivers in Nov / Dec about how much luggage I might be allowed to bring :)

So we are at 9 Jeeps and two maybes, should be lots of fun - especially if after this big wet it starts to dry out!

Thanks to Wayne and Julie and Rob, and especially Greg, who even after my bad language when I sank the KJ, still offered a passenger seat.

Thank you again,
Dave

uncaged123
11-10-16, 02:42 PM
My pleasure Dave. You can drive my jku to try a steep descent and river crossing if you swap vehicle along the way.

Cheers RobS

Dave
12-10-16, 10:08 AM
My pleasure Dave. You can drive my jku to try a steep descent and river crossing if you swap vehicle along the way.

Cheers RobS

Car surfing - I like it! Thanks Rob.

(I promise to be more careful than in Big Desert two weeks ago)

uncaged123
12-10-16, 04:26 PM
No worries Dave. I did what you did at last year grease monkey on the monkey gum trail. Thank heaven I was able to stop while my tail was up on high ground, so that tail gate charlie could pull me out. Lol My friend can't get the time off so I'm travelling solo, and will pack my new 5 persons oz tent, with the side walls for the awning. Heaps of room for you, Greg and I, if you guys like to join me in using one tent. And I'll bring stretcher bunks.

Will98
21-10-16, 06:34 PM
Hey Dave,

I'm gonna have to pull out sorry, I'm busy now over New Years and won't be able to make it down south in time. Hopefully you all have a great trip, and fingers crossed I'll get to do the tracks another time.

Cheers,

Will

Dave
23-10-16, 05:21 PM
Hey Dave,

I'm gonna have to pull out sorry, I'm busy now over New Years and won't be able to make it down south in time. Hopefully you all have a great trip, and fingers crossed I'll get to do the tracks another time.

Cheers,

Will

No worries Will, I was almost 'out' for a while there too! Hope to catch up at the Christmas Party, and hope the HSCs are going really well!!

Dave

Will98
24-10-16, 08:51 PM
No worries Will, I was almost 'out' for a while there too! Hope to catch up at the Christmas Party, and hope the HSCs are going really well!!

Dave

Yeah I was sorry to hear about the KJ but the new jeep looks great! Yeah hopefully see you there, going fairly well so far, still a few to go though!

uncaged123
25-10-16, 05:10 AM
Hi Will, all the best for your exams. Next we may see you studying with a uni course.

Cheers Rob

Will98
25-10-16, 09:37 AM
Hi Will, all the best for your exams. Next we may see you studying with a uni course.

Cheers Rob

Hey Rob, thanks! Yeah I'll be at uni soon enough, might have a gap year first, so I can jeep every weekend ;)

Will

Dave
28-10-16, 05:06 PM
Bit more of an update on where we will stay on the trip around

Dargo Hotel is happy to let us camp behind the pub for two nights - which means access to showers and the pub! We can look at the campsites out of town, but this is a good option for a small cover charge for the nights of 5 and 6 January. No bookings needed.

Omeo Caravan Park is expecting us on 7 January, again no booking needed, we just show up.

9 January was the tricky one. I looked at some caravan parks and national park campgrounds on the coast near Merimbula and Pambula. They are all fully booked and expensive!

So I rang the far south coast national parks office. They suggested Six Mile Creek campground on Tantawangalo Mountain Road in the forest heading northeast from Bombala. No bookings or fees, but it is pretty small.

Another website mentioned another camp called Postmans, which is larger, 5km up Postmans 4wd Track which is a turn off from Tantawangalo Mountain Road 7km west of (before) Six Mile Creek (Postmans Track at roughly 36045'40"S 149031'16"E).

So I reckon we stay inland and do just a bit more dirt on the way back to the coast, before heading home.

As long as my chauffeur is happy with the idea :)

Dave

Dave
06-11-16, 06:31 PM
Hi All,

Little bit more organising;

Does anyone else want to meet at Gundagai on the night of Sunday 1 January and split the drive?

I originally said we would meet at Nug Nug Reserve 14km South of Myrtleford on Buffalo River Road for our first night camp on Monday 2 January. But if anyone wants to meet on New Years Day at Gundagai River Caravan Park, Middleton Drive, Gundagai (02) 6944 1702, then let me know and I’ll call them. I have booked one site for Greg and myself - $25 per night for 2 people, and they have more space available!

We have 8 definite Jeeps, Dieselcon and Darksidecustoms are still maybes. Is everyone still coming?

Hope to hear from you,

Dave

Dave
07-11-16, 09:51 AM
Extra list - camping in Gundagai on 1 January on the way to Victoria. I have called them and reserved three sites (so far). Gundagai River Caravan Park, Middleton Drive, Gundagai (02) 6944 1702

1. Greg and Dave
2. RobS
3. Wayne and Julie

Dave
25-11-16, 09:32 AM
Hi All,

Unfortunately we are down to 7 definites and 2 maybes. Kev sent an email to say he had to pull out, which is a shame as he didn't get to finish the last trip either.

When I say 7 definites, I hope that is still true. I have only heard from Greg, Rob, Wayne and Julie since the last post. I'll send another email around soon because next Monday is just 5 weeks until we all meet in Victoria!

Looking forward to it!

Dave

Dave
27-11-16, 05:42 PM
Hi All,

5 weeks today there will be three Jeeps at Gundagai River Caravan Park, and 5 weeks tomorrow hopefully at least 7 Jeeps at Nug Nug Reserve.

I only heard back from Greg, Wayne & Julie, Rob and Kev after my email a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully everyone else is still coming? Also haven’t heard from our two maybes, Jose - Dieselcon and Nash – Darksidecustoms, are you guys still interested??

I have emailed a Registration Form including slightly better maps of Gundagai and Nug Nug. If you wouldn’t mind filling out who is coming and an emergency contact just in case and emailing back would be fine. Then I’ll know :)

Hope to hear from you soon, maybe see you at the December meeting on the 7th, or the Christmas Party on the 17th, or at Gundagai on 1st Jan, or Nug Nug with full fuel on the 2nd!

All the best,
Dave

darksidecustoms
29-11-16, 12:05 AM
Hi Dave, the stars aren't quite aligned for me this time round as I'm likely moving house then. Will let you know if anything changes.

Dave
29-11-16, 09:24 AM
Hi Dave, the stars aren't quite aligned for me this time round as I'm likely moving house then. Will let you know if anything changes.

No worries, I'll leave you on the maybe list. Just let us know before 1st January if we should expect you.

Hayley and Steve contacted me, they are meeting us at Nug Nug! So we still have 4 at least :)

Thanks,

Dave

Dave
10-12-16, 08:35 PM
Hi All,

I caught up with everyone on the definite list at the meeting last week, and we are all still definite!

1 GregD & DaveG (passenger) will meet at Gundagai on 1st
2 Dennis - meeting at Nug Nug on 2nd
3 Wayne & Julie - meeting at Gundagai on 1st
4 Steve & Hayley - meeting at Nug Nug on 2nd
5 Dusan - meeting at Nug Nug on 2nd
6 Teshie - meeting at Nug Nug on 2nd
7 RobS - meeting at Gundagai on 1st (maybe as of 30/12)

I contacted Dieselcon through Facebook, unfortunately he is working, and from the above posts I think Darksidecustoms is unlikely...

But 7 Jeeps is GREAT! It will be a fun trip, and we should fit into all campsites :)

Nothing to book, everything organised, so not much more to say other that see you at the Christmas Party then in the New Year!! Please do get in touch if you do have any questions, all my contacts are on the itinerary and the emails I have sent.

Best wishes,
Dave

Dave
26-12-16, 09:46 AM
Hi All,

Merry Christmas – or Happy Boxing Day anyway. One week today we are all heading to our meeting point at Nug Nug Reserve south of Myrtleford.

Hope Santa brought everyone everything that they need :)

Just checked the long range weather forecast – a low chance of rain on Tues, Wed and Thu, which means less than 25% chance, so we are looking pretty good for a really nice trip and access all areas!

If anyone has any last minute questions, please give me a call. Otherwise see you in a week.

Please remember, fill up with fuel at Myrtleford, and your Jerry Can/s, as it is three days of mountains, views and creek crossings with no fuel before we arrive at Dargo on Thursday afternoon.

See you there (can’t wait :encouragement:)

Dave

Teshie
27-12-16, 12:27 AM
Look forward to it. Thanks Dave.

Dave
30-12-16, 12:14 PM
We may be down to 6 Jeeps. Rob emailed me and said that he may not be able to come due to family issues. We may not know for sure until he arrives in Gundagai on Sunday. Or not...

Hopefully everyone else is still with us! Had a great chat with Greg yesterday to organise how much gear I can bring in his Grand. He said there was room on the roof rack - which may be for me :)

But hey, I'd get some fantastic photos!

See you in a coupla days, and Happy New Year!!

Dave

jk_menace
10-01-17, 12:10 AM
Back to work today thinking what a great trip we had. Thanks again Dave and Greg for an awesome trip, for the members who did the trip last year and didn't get to complete it the weather couldn't have been better. We got to the top of Billy Goat Bluff and Blue Rag without any issues, we drove some challenging tracks, lit some great camp fires, spent a week with great mates.
Cheers
Dennis and Eleni

Easy77
10-01-17, 12:40 AM
What a fantastic trip this was. Our trip leading duet did a great job and they even made arrangements for the perfect weather!
I'll post just a few pics here, will bring more on a CD/DVD to the next club meeting.
Cheers, Dusan & Nina.

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/Dusan_Palko/Victoria%20High%20Country%20Jan%202017/P1050013_zps58qmfru3.jpg

Easy77
10-01-17, 12:52 AM
Wonnangatta camp, early morning fog:
http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/Dusan_Palko/Victoria%20High%20Country%20Jan%202017/P1050009_zpspc8fvw9w.jpg

"MAJ" in Wonnangatta:
http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/Dusan_Palko/Victoria%20High%20Country%20Jan%202017/P1050008_zpswhchk46u.jpg

Fire "observatory", on the top of the Pinnacles (Billy Goat Bluff Track):
http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/Dusan_Palko/Victoria%20High%20Country%20Jan%202017/P1050107_zpss4wyby63.jpg

Easy77
10-01-17, 12:57 AM
Billy Goat Bluff Track:

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/Dusan_Palko/Victoria%20High%20Country%20Jan%202017/P1050041_zpsx3henpap.jpg

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/Dusan_Palko/Victoria%20High%20Country%20Jan%202017/P1050040_zps9y9j2iqk.jpg

Easy77
10-01-17, 01:00 AM
Jeeps on the Blue Rag Range:

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/Dusan_Palko/Victoria%20High%20Country%20Jan%202017/P1050167_zpsfethi9dv.jpg

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/Dusan_Palko/Victoria%20High%20Country%20Jan%202017/P1050187_zpseh9sy0ru.jpg

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/Dusan_Palko/Victoria%20High%20Country%20Jan%202017/P1050209_zpsgnkyftx4.jpg

Easy77
10-01-17, 01:33 AM
Mt Stirling (on the way to Howqua hut):
http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/Dusan_Palko/Victoria%20High%20Country%20Jan%202017/P1040902_zpsqoigfpyz.jpg

Mt Stirling; looking at Mt Buller resort:
http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/Dusan_Palko/Victoria%20High%20Country%20Jan%202017/P1040900_zpswg1uywop.jpg

Dave
10-01-17, 08:56 AM
Thanks Dusan and especially Nina :)

There are some great pics there, I have been going through mine as well. We saw some spectacular scenery!

Everyone is home now, Greg dropped me off at about 4 on Monday arvo, a day earlier than planned. Our trip to McKillops Bridge then on to the coast took much less time than planned, one day not two.

I hope that everyone enjoyed themselves and is into the clean up. Looking forward to catching up at the Feb meeting.

Thanks to everyone, and best wishes,
Dave